Evan began taking his bottle really well again. He wasn't needing to be fed through his tube hardly at all. His weight picked up and he was doing really well regulating his body temperature. There started to be rumors going around that the "you know what" could be happening soon (discharge!). One of the nurses said they're not allowed to actually say it so sometimes they refer to it as "the pizza party!" So funny. I was getting excited but trying not to show it too much. On Friday they took his feeding tube out!
By Saturday it was officially confirmed that he would be discharged the following day-Easter Sunday. So we quickly got his hearing and car seat tests done and had the last few checks by the neonatologists. It was so bittersweet to know we would be bringing him home but we would also miss the wonderful nurses and doctors that took care of him. His final weight in the hospital Saturday night was 4 lbs 10 oz.
I made sure I was there early on Sunday just in case there were any last minute things that needed to be done before we could take Evan home. David met up with me after church and soon after we loaded everything up. We had to use a cart to get everything out to the car! It was strange to think we would no longer be allowed to have access to the NICU, it felt like we should still be taking care of things there. In fact it took both of us a couple of days to cut off our bracelets.
To celebrate coming home he wore this adorable preemie outfit from cousin Tara.
Evan seemed SO little in his car seat. I had to ride next to him on the way home just to reassure myself he could breathe. The girls were very excited to welcome us home. They immediately wanted to hold him so we took turns. We also showed him his Easter basket which included a book, stuffed monkey, and pacifiers. By the end of the evening I was so exhausted I could hardly see straight. I think the last month had finally caught up to me.
Evan is still a very sleepy baby and will be for a few weeks yet. I have to set my alarm to make sure he eats every 3 hours around the clock. It is very hard to drag myself out of bed when all is quiet! I have started pumping while I am feeding him his bottle. This cuts down on my time awake at night.
Monday morning I awoke to find out that Anna and Natalie both had the stomach flu. Luckily Grandma Barb was there to help David get things cleaned up and then she had to continue to clean up after David headed to work. I felt so bad but I had to protect Evan and keep him quarantined in my room. It was awful. The girls were so sick. After lunch David came home because he had the flu also. What a day! And then of course, by that evening I was having symptoms and by the next day I was sick as well. I didn't have it as badly as everyone else but it was still painful and exhausting, especially since I wasn't getting that much sleep anyway. David and I had to take Evan to the doctor on Tuesday and I could barely make it through that. His weight that day was 5 lbs even. The doctor was pleased to see such a healthy preemie. He had been prepped by the neonatologist about Evan's birth and treatment. All was well there and he said to just keep doing what we're doing.
By Wednesday we were all feeling mostly better but then Grandma came down with it. It was her turn! We all felt so bad!
You can see he is starting to get a little chubby in the face!
It seems strange that Evan is only 3 weeks old. There has been so much going on! It feels like this whole ordeal has been going on a lot longer than a month. What a month March was--I can't wait to see what April brings! I'm hoping for lots of time on the couch snuggling my newborn.
Sunday, April 7, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The Deans
- Jenna
- Life as we know it is full of laughter, fun, stress, love, faith and surprises. What more could we ask for?










9 comments:
oh my goodness, so many thoughts I have!
//Evan is SO incredibly beautiful. He looks so healthy, even though he is a preemie! You guys are taking great care of him!
//I'm so sorry you all got so sick! I can only imagine how hard that must have been. Thank goodness Barb was able to help before she got sick! That must have been such a great blessing to have her :)
//I know you are going through so much right now Jenna, but I just want to say that I LOVE your honesty in these posts and I just know great things are coming for little Evan and you guys. Your family is such a wonderful beacon of light in this world, and I can feel your strength and faith even through this little blog! We love you guys so much and are definitely making a trip down there asaps!
xo S
I love these gorgeous pictures and that adorable outfit. Jenna, you are so strong! Love you!
So wonderful that he's home safe and sound. But what a rough first week back!
So excited to hear he is home. What a month!! Your family has been in our thoughts and prayers.
Oh. My. Goodness Jenna! I am sitting here in complete total and utter shock. I had no idea you were even expecting (I've disappeared from the blog world lately) and then to read this whole saga. Wow. I am at a loss for words. What an ordeal you all have had. Evan is beautiful and looks like such a strong little boy. I'm so glad you've had such an amazing support system, but seriously, if you need ANYTHING, let me know. I will so totally make the trek out there in a heartbeat. You are one of my most favorite people in the entire universe and I would do anything to help you through this overwhelming time in your life. Love you! Enjoy your beautiful baby and family <3
Yay! Home sweet home!
I'm at a loss for words my wonderful, smart, strong, compassionate, loving, faithful friend. I won't quote you cliches. I'll just tell you I think you are amazing. Sweet little Evan is a fighter...like his mama. He is beautiful & strong & I am so glad he & you made it through his first taste of the Refiner's fire & are all together with your family under the same roof. Sending you all my love & thoughts & prayers & many many many virtual hugs. Wishing I could be there to just hug you tight & maybe cry on each other's shoulders for the terrifying but faith inducing & character building trial you have just survived w flying colors. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 Thank you so much for sharing your & Evan's story.
He has to be the cutest little baby boy ever! I am so glad that he is home, now he begin his girl trapped life. Lucky boy!
Jenna, I'm so happy he got to come home and is doing well! The flu was a cruel April fool's day joke :( Hope everyone is better- grandma included.
Post a Comment